Monday, 18 June 2012

Reps, Sanusi feud over N125m donation to blast victims 

 

Gunmen kill two in Maiduguri
GOVERNOR of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, got knocks from members of the House of Representatives yesterday over the N125 million the apex bank donated to victims of bomb blast earlier this year.
Suspected gunmen yesterday morning killed a tea vendor at the Bulabul area of Maiduguri metropolis in Borno State.
Also, at the weekend, an Islamic cleric, Malam Laminu, was killed at his Maiduguri residence.
The lawmakers at a public hearing on the matter by the Committee on Banking and Currency in Abuja also faulted the injection of N620 billion by the CBN into some ailing banks in 2009.
The committee said that although the lending to distressed banks, donations to victims of bomb explosions and lending to private sector organisations may be necessary, the legality of these actions were questionable as long as they had no legislative backing.
But the CBN argued that all its actions were legal and in conformity with the CBN Act as created by the National Assembly.
Minority Leader of the House, Femi Gbajabiamila, accused the CBN of operating on a “blank cheque” and refusing to follow the due process of the law as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution.
He argued that even in the United Kingdom (UK) and United States (U.S.) where their apex banks intervened in banks and other sectors of the economy, they did so with the active participation of their parliaments.
According to him,” the CBN appeared to have been hiding under the loophole of institutional autonomy in carrying out these actions.”
Chairman of the House Committee on Banking and Currency, Chukwudi Onyereri, explained that the investigative hearing was not to witch-hunt the CBN but to use the outcome to strengthen the bank and AMCON in the delivery of their mandates.
The tea vendor was said to have been issued a warning letter by the gunmen to vacate the shop last February before he was killed yesterday, after returning from Michika last week.
Confirming the incidents yesterday in Maiduguri, the spokesman of Borno State Police Command, Gideon Jibrin, said that the police heard of the two separate attacks in Bulabul Ward of Maiduguri.
He said some suspected gunmen trailed the tea vendor this morning (yesterday) to his shop and opened fire at him severally, leading to his death.
Jibrin added that no arrests have been made but that the Joint Task Force (JTF) and the police had started investigations into the incidents.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment