Protesters storm National Assembly over $3m bribery scandal
As the National Assembly resumed from its recess today, scores of youths
under the umbrella of Nigeria Youth for Good Governance (NYGG) Tuesday
stormed the National Assembly to protest against corruption in the
legislative arm of government.
Speaking to newsmen at the premises of the National Assembly, the Leader
of the group Comrade Joe Mesele berated legislators for repeatedly
getting involved in acts of corruption.
Several of the protesters carried placards bearing different
inscriptions. Some of the inscriptions read: “We don’t want corruption
any more”; “We say no to corruption in the National Assembly”;
“No more honourable looting”; “Nigerian Youths say no to legislative
corruption”; “Let’s sanitise the parliament, the last hope of the
masses”.
The NYGG leader said the group was comprised of conscious Nigerian
youths who believe in the tenets of democracy, good governance and
development and as such “we believe that our democracy must be sanitized
of corruption.”
He continued: “The type of allegations and counter allegations coming
out of the National Assembly is unacceptable for an institution that
should represent the people of this country.
“We feel that as responsible and patriotic Nigerians we should come here
today to formally make a presentation in the form of a protest to the
National Assembly so that the members would know we are watching them
keenly and we are not happy about what they are doing”.
He continued: “Although what is unfolding at the House of
Representatives has to do with only allegations against a member, yet
there is no smoke without fire.
“We are aware that the member who is facing those allegations has
already been removed as Chairman of the House Committee on Petroleum
Subsidy to pave way for proper investigation and we support the decision
of the House”.
He further stated the Nigerian people were watching and expect the House
to perform the duties which have been assigned to it by the
constitution.
Said he: “We are common Nigerians on the streets who can equally win
elections to represent our people tomorrow in the National Assembly.
“We have also come to let them know that when the next election comes,
we would re-elect those of them who are good and replace those who are
not good”.
Mesele denied that his group was sponsored to embark on the protest.
Said he: “ We have not seen any Nigerian who can sponsor this group to
embark on a protest because we have conscience. Although we are not as
organized as we should be, this is not the first time we have marched on
the streets to protest against ills in the society. We joined the Save
Nigeria Group earlier this year to protest against the removal of fuel
subsidy by the Federal Government.
“It was our protest that gave room for the setting up of the Adhoc
Committee on Fuel Subsidy by the House of Representatives. The work of
that Committee was applauded by the people. But now that many
allegations have been leveled against Farouk Lawan the Chairman of that
Committee, those allegations have to be thoroughly investigated.”
Although, the group was prevented from entering the chambers of the
National Assembly by security operatives, a police officer collected
their placards for onward submission to the leadership of the National
Assembly.
No comments:
Post a Comment